The conference consisted of talks and discussion panels
On May 18th and 19th Brazil was the center of the tech-law world as the IBA Technology Law Committee held the 5th Biennial Technology Law Conference in Sao Paulo. The title of this year’s event was Technology beyond the bounds: enterprise benefits and social and regulatory limits.
The aim of the event was to discuss ethical questions regarding the new applications of technology which the digital era has set in motion, instead of solely addressing judicial matters.. Topics approached included:
- Artificial intelligence, digital advertising and other intellectual property issues
- Cyber risk, cybercrime and cybersecurity
- Driverless cars
- Artificial Intelligence in healthcare
- Ethics, compliance and privacy
- Government surveillance, data protection and social awareness
- Impact of privacy on international trade agreements
- Internet currency, mobile money and the emerging cashless society
- Internet of things, consumer wearables and general internet laws
- Net neutrality
As expected, attendees consisted mostly of attorneys and judicial directors, but the event also had engineers working on software development and digital innovation. General counsel for global companies also spoke at the event, representing some of the most renowned enterprises in the world, including Uber, Microsoft, which discussed data privacy, and Siemens, that addressed health technology.
Attorneys and partners from law firms worldwide attended the event, representing offices in Germany, England, Netherlands, China and other locations. Brazilian firms were represented at the conference by the following attorneys:
- Camila Borba Lefevre (Vieira Rezende Barbosa e Guerreiro Advogados)
- Fabio Pereira (Veirano Advogados)
- Horácio Bernardes (Neto Motta Fernandes Rocha Advogados)
- Karin Klempp (Rothmann Advogados)
- Marcela Ejnisman (TozziniFreire Advogados)
- Paulo Lilla (Lefosse Advogados)
- Raphael de Cunto (Pinheiro Neto Advogados)
As for the future, the next IBA event will be IBA Europe-Caucasus-Asia Forum 2017 to be held in London September 6th through 8th.